There really is no right time for everyone to work out, although theoretically, working out in the morning will elevate your metabolism so you will burn more calories in the day. Personally, I always exercise at 6 a.m. on an empty stomach because studies show you burn more fat, plus it’s out of your way for the day.
Always eat a good meal within one half hour to replace glycogen and protein stores in the way of a positive nitrogen balance.
Clinical testing has also shown that your body is more likely to shunt these nutrients away from fat cells (adipose tissue) and to your muscles. You will burn anywhere from 50-100 additional calories per pound of muscle gained. This doesn’t mean you’ll get bulky from this plan provided you’re eating fewer calories and not doing very heavy weight lifting. Your caloric intake can be assessed by looking up your basal metabolic rate.
Just as important to any fitness routine is drinking enough water. A recent clinical study found that 17 ounces of water consumed in one dose will increase metebolic rate by 30%(study did not indicate, nor were they able to determine how long this would last).
HIIT Cardio is better than any other type of cardio for burning fat with a quickness.
If you’ve tried working out in the early morning and that hasn’t worked for you, try late night work outs for a while and if you get better results. If not, try the afternoon.
Here are some Pro’s and Con’s:
• The majority of people who exercise consistently do so early in the day. It is easier to form the exercise habit through morning exercise.
• Fewer distractions and schedule interruptions.
• Can make time for exercise by getting up a bit earlier.
• Raises your heart rate and metabolism to burn more calories earlier in the day and even more calories in the overall day than exercises at any other time.
• Gives a feeling of physical energy for hours.
• Improves your mental acuity for hours.
• Cooler temperatures in summer.
• Air pollution is lowest in the morning.
• The body adjusts to your exercise time, so if you are training for a morning sports event, train in the morning.
• Body temperature is at its lowest 1-3 hours before awakening, making morning a time of naturally lower energy and blood flow.
• Cold, stiff muscles may be more prone to injury – be sure to warm up well before doing a higher intensity workout, and do gentle stretching.
• If you do not enjoy morning exercise, you won’t easily form a habit by choosing a morning workout time.
• Can make a habit to walk and exercise at lunch time and break time.
• Can use a walking and exercise partner at work, school, or in your neighborhood.
• Body temperature and hormone levels are higher than first thing in the morning.
• Can help regulate the amount of food you feel like eating for lunch, can help you avoid break-time snacking.
• Improves blood flow to the brain so you are sharper in the afternoon.
• Stress relief from work, school, or home stresses.
• Time limits may not allow you to get in a full workout – any amount is good, but best if you can walk for 30-60 minutes or more at a stretch
• Distractions and other commitments make keep you from walking and exercising at the appointed times.
• Research shows that lung function is worst at noon.
• For most people, body temperature and hormone levels peak at 6 pm. Exercising 3 hours before or after the peak will give your your best workout for both endurance and building muscle.
• Research shows lung function is best at 4-5 pm.
• Muscles are warm and flexible.
• Perceived exertion is lowest – how hard you feel yourself to be working at exercise. So you may be able to work out harder or faster by doing so in the afternoon.
• Can help regulate the amount of food you feel like eating for dinner.
• Stress relief after a day at work, school, or home.
• Distractions and other commitments make keep you from walking and exercising at the appointed times.
• Need to allow one to three hours to wind down after walking or exercise to be able to fall asleep.
If you are new to this site, make sure you Download the my “15 min Ab Workout” for FREE from my FaceBook page (make sure to “like” it!) This FREE Link
.below are some before and after pics that people have emailed me after they did my FULL workout plan !!! (the 2ed pic is one my friends that I trained for a few weeks) . CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT HOW THEY ACCOMPLISHED THERE GOALS!
For best results, make sure you follow a good total body routine and diet (you get both in my FULL workout plan). It may also help to try a good fat burner like TEA REXX, it is what I use to help me stay ripped.
Related Post: How And What To Eat Too Lose Weight and Gain Muscle
Thanks for reading !!!
LET NOTHING STOP YOU
very good info brandon!!!!
i use to work out mornings due to work in the afternoon
but since they change my schedule to evenings….i work out in the afternoon now…..
you said workout on a empty stomach….
but alot of people and sometimes me have some trouble working out on a empty stomach (dizziness or stomach ache)
what are some light things we could eat before working out….and how long should we wait after we eat to workout
this would be a great topic also that you could tell us about!!!!
-thx in advance and keep the knowledge coming!!!!
whats up Ray!
I only workout empty stomach cuz I workout a soon as I wake up. I I have to workout aanother time of day, then I don’t do it on an empty stomach. If its hard for someone to workout so as they wake up on empty stomach, I tell them to DO IT ANYWAY. I don’t really care about when people I train tell me that something is hard, cuz if it was easy everybody would be in shap lol. I hope that ALL the adviver i give is “hard”. Going hard is the only way your gonna get stronger.
Great question Ray!!!!! Thanks
thx for taking the time to answer back quickly!!!
Bradon bro as always i see your throwing down the best advise with none of that bull you get everywhere. Thanks man, these tips are really good for everyone!
Thanks osaka! That really means alot!!!
Thanks for the great blog for a start! Great tips and videos.
Recently changed my workout to early morning and start around 6.30 am, got a few questions for you…
1. I’ve heard HIIT make you burn fat even after you finished workout for some time. Having breakfast straight after wont’ stop this process? (Assuming it’s got some amount of simple sugars, which would spike your sugar level up) ?
2. When do you wake up before hitting gym? Do you drink anything before like coffee? water?
3. With early morning and HIIT you muscle can be damaged as they are rich in minerals, vitamins etc.. and your body would also use that (together with fat burning ) to deliver you enough energy to keep up with hard workout. Do you protect your muscle in some way eg taking amino acids?
Thanks and would really appreciate your tips here,
Great work again!
I got a question for you
you say after I worked out a muscle for example triceps I shouldnt work it out again until its not sore anymore. However sometimes It happens that the muscle isnt sore anymore after like 1-2 days does this mean i’m not working out hard enough ?
You say you work out at 6am… Well dude, when do you go to sleep?
And do you take afternoon naps? I don’t get it.
Man, I got this problem with my school. Thing is, my P.E class runs about a mile every tuesday and thursday. I hate it because I know it’s gonna make it that much harder to get any sort of gains. How can I work around this but still do HIIT 2-3 times a week? My goal is both gaining some size AND cutting since summers right around the corner. Any help would be appreciated. I know this is off topic, but I just needed to know lol.
One of your best articles yet. This is a topic not talked about as much compared to the many other ones everyone like to talk about. Good breakdown on the pros and cons too.
Hey Brandon, great advices and videos, it’s really usefull. I just got a question about excercising on empty stomach.
When I get up in the morning I just drink a glass or two of water and asap going to workout. On days when I’m doing push-ups, pull-us and dips it happens I don’t have enough strength to do propertly workout as I can do after job and after 30 mins rest before workout around 19h. What should I do if I want to max out my strength in the morning.
Thank you forwardly,
Brandon, my schedule changes week to week, so my workouts are always in flux. But I usually don’t see much difference in working out in the morning versus later on in the day. At the moment, I’m just about to head to the garage and check my routine off of my calendar. I say the best time of day is when you can get it done.
Thanks for the info, you always have great tips man!
I can only work out in the afternoon around 5pm so what are your suggestions on protein intake, creatine intake and eating habits during the day for someone who can only work out after work and will be going to sleep about 4-5 hours after a workout?
Thanks again man, you always got some great advise!
i workout in the morning, i do like a warm up with push ups, leg raises, squats etc
then i go onto some intence cardio to failure and that gets me really tired so i think that works..
i dont think doing that is getting my abs to show because thats the main thing i want
what should i change my workout too?
What do you think about that: in the early morning i get up at 7 i do a few sprints arroun the block to wake up and increase my metabolsim. Then at 7;30 i have my breakfast smth like oats and 4 egg whites. After that i go by foot to the gym it takes like 45 minutes to get there so arround 8.30 i do my workout. What do you think about that?
Man I don’t get this. I thought water holds on to carbs, but it also increases metabolic rate?
What? “Water holds carbs”????? what dose that even mean homie? who ever told you that was messing with your head bro. thats just crazy talk
Haha!! My bad. It’s carbs which hold on to water. 🙂
Brandon. You are awesome. I wan be ripped. What’s the best workout for nice arms and chest? I’m a guy 18 years 170cm 60kg. I only workout for chest n arms once a week in a gym(as i didnt have equipments at home). Its not enough right? But i follow ur abs workout at home 3 times a week too. It’s awesome. I need some advice.
Search “Chest” and ” Arms” on this site!!! I have a lot of post and videos on them. you should be working your WHOLE body, not just chest and arms!!! if you only do that you will end up looking goofy as hell bro!!!! if you only take one piece of advice from me, please let it be that!!!!
Thanks for the comment Blur
Hahaha. Thanks for ur advice bro. I’ll keep it in mind. I dont wanna b goofy! ;)) I will be always watching all ur post. It really did help a lot. Failure means take a little heavy than usual weight and do until can’t lift right? then rest for 30sec between sets?
i tried working out in the morning.. i almost fainted.. i didnt have enough energy or anything.. i think its better you workout when you have already eaten everything your body needs to lift those weights and to go that extra mile… dont you think?
If thats what works best for you, then go for it bro! Everybody is different, so some people may not respond well to morning workout. As long as you REALLY feel like your workouts are substantially better another time (and your not just punking out) then go for it! I have a few friends that ONLY workout in the afternoons. just make sure you weight the pros and cons… keep in mind that my 60 year old mother hits the weights 1st thing in the AM before she eats, dont let a 60 woman out work bro lol
Thanks for the comment angelo! keep me posted on your progress!
hey brandon thanks for all the good info giving I’ve really learned a lot from this blog.
I’m an indian ( not the skinny version but with a normal body type) boy 19 years old around the 73 kg and 183 cm. Im a vegetarian so i dont eat any meat,fish or egg I do however take proteine.
I’ve been doing cardio for quite a while and for the last 2 months it has only been hiit which has helped me a lot ( i lost around 8 kg) but now i want to gain weight (muscle) what do u suggest?
I’ve got a feeding schedule which mostly is bread with apple-spread (dutch i dont know how u say it in english but it contains lots of iron) milk without fat and banana for energy and on the days i train i take proteine right after the training.
Since ur late blog i’ve decided to workout in the early morning on a empty stomach in the way u told so the first day chest shoulder tricep, the second day back,bicep and the third day legs and stomach
now my question is what do I have to do to get a body like u? Am i doing it right? is the food right or do i have to get some kind a supplement?
yo brandon do i not train to mush
on monday i train 1 hour fight sport
on tuasday i train 1,5 hour fight sport
on wednesday i train 1 hour at home
on thursday i train not
on friday i train 1,5 hour fight sport
on saterday i train sometimes 1 hour at home
on sunday i train not
i,m now 14 years old 160 cm and 135 pounds
hi brandon carter,I want to know that working out twice per day , one in evening and one in morning would hurt my progress. Even if I workout same muscles twice per day.
BRANDON you are outrageous. I am a great fan of yours. I want to know that working out twice per day , one in evening and one in morning would hurt my progress. Even if I workout same muscles twice per day.
hey..brandon .yow tanks for all the advise man i workout at mornings even though it feels so boring..cause u just woke up..well i`ll just eat a peice of bread b4 working out.i wake up about 5am.i already lost 20 pounds am now 65kilo.am 16 years old 5.9 dude and your my inspiration man i just want to be like you..because i trust my self that i will accomplish it..your lean and ripped dude ..i don`t want to be huge..tanks dude and take care always man..:)